Fire Department HIRRA Committee Terms of Reference
The Fire Department HIRRA Committee responsibilities include:
- Election of a Chairperson.
- Meeting monthly (at least 10 meetings per year) to review the Fire Chief’s report on Department activities, training and call-outs.
- Financial accountability:
- Monthly review of expenditures.
- Discussion and input on large, non-budgeted expenditures.
- Participate in the preparation of the annual budget and 5-year budget plan for presentation to HIRRA.
- Review financial performance to budget.
- Assist the Fire Department with special community projects that may arise from time to time and act as a liaison with the community.
- Elect one person to participate in the HIFD Safety Committee as required by Work Safe BC
- Reporting to the HIRRA Executive by:
- a. submitting copies of minutes of all committee meetings.
- b. attendance by chair or designate at scheduled Executive meetings, as requested.
- Reporting to the HIRRA general assembly at least quarterly.
The Fire Department HIRRA Committee responsibilities do not include:
- The appointment of the Chief and department officers.
- The Fire Chief’s performance evaluation. (Note: the performance appraisal is done annually by the volunteer fire fighters at the time of the election of the Fire Chief).
- Hiring of Fire Department staff, or termination of employment.
In order to ensure opportunity for community consultation, the committee shall:
- Post regular meeting times in the HIRRA display case on the Co-op porch so community members may attend as observers or, by prior arrangement, to make presentations.
- Report regularly to the HIRRA executive and to the HIRRA membership.
- Make minutes publicly accessible, e.g., available at the library.
- On issues of significant community impact, the Fire Department, with the HIRRA committee, shall ensure the community is informed through articles, flyers, posters, neighbourhood meetings and/or other available media, well in advance of the meeting at which the issue will be discussed and/or decided.
These terms of reference are intended to be in accordance with the terms of the management contracts between the Hornby Island Residents’ & Ratepayers’ Association and the Regional District of Comox Strathcona AND/OR in accordance with the general administrative policies of the Hornby Island Residents’ & Ratepayers’ Association. In the event of a conflict between the wording of the Policy on this page and the wording of the paper copy kept in the central HIRRA file, the wording of the paper copy shall prevail.
Adopted: July, 2006
In the event of a conflict between the wording of the Policy on this page and the wording of the paper copy kept in the central HIRRA file, the wording of the paper copy shall prevail.