2018 Minutes

 

HIRRA’s Guide to Meeting Etiquette

Minutes of HIRRA General Meeting

February 7, 2018

At the Hornby Island Community Hall

Present: Rob McCreary, President; Andrew Mark, Vice President; Lynn Nunley, Secretary; Reina LeBaron, Administrator; 16 other HIRRA members and 2 new members
Regrets: Treasurer; Rachelle Chinnery,

Call to order: 7:36pm

Introductions: Rob welcomed everyone, introduced the Executive and acknowledged Pentlatch First Nations territory.
Quorum: Rob noted the lack of quorum and the meeting proceeded for information only.

1. Agenda: The agenda was approved by general agreement.
2. Minutes: Minutes of the December 13, 2017 HIRRA meeting were read aloud and accepted by general agreement.
3. Executive Report: Presented by Rob. In summary:
MOTI update: due to budget constraints, MOTI are now planning to fix the edge of Central Road where it crosses Beulah Creek and replace the culvert in a future year.
2017 Financial year-end data seems fine. The transition to a new company is underway.
The application for well licenses is in process.
BC Ferries Community Investment voucher program was announced.
Community Emergency Preparedness Workshop was announced.
New Fire Hall Grand Opening was announced.
HIAC representatives attended the Executive meeting to discuss possible plans.
4. Recreation Budget: Deferred to March meeting due to lack of quorum. Chair Bill Hamilton reported that the recent Ski Day had about 30 participants. Recreation is hoping to partner with HIAA to access gaming grant funds.
5. Recycling Committee: Presented by Manager Stani Veselinovic. In summary: 2017 was busy. Two shipping containers arrived for storing surplus materials. Two cisterns installed. Solar panels steadily generating electricity. Depot now accepts most credit/debit cards for payment. 40th anniversary of Recycling Depot this Sept. Celebration ideas and T-shirt artwork welcome. Appreciation for Depot staff, Free Store volunteers, committee and HIRRA.
6. Hall Committee: Presented by Chair Wendy Burton. In summary: Listed all events held in Hall in 2017. Lynn welcomed as Booking Agent and Maintenance Coordinator employee (changed from contractor). Staff evaluation of janitor went well. Appreciation for staff and Hall handyman.
Acoustics: Stage sound baffles close to completion. Sound system sub-committee of local experts (open to others) has met. Plans to purchase and install components in stages, renovate secure tech room for sound board, have simple user accessible sound plates with on/off volume and plug ins. Plans to purchase speakers soon and test in March with rented sound boards, hopefully including people with hearing aids.
Lights: Close to ordering lights for main Hall. Hopefully to be installed at same time as speakers. Also planning to have fixed stage work lights.
Round Room heat pump has been broken for some time.
Noted that the Hall continues to have mouse problems and is not rodent-proof. Users need to follow proper Food Safe protocols.
Several reasons that Hall is not appropriate as an emergency shelter, although it could be a muster point.
7. Community Announcements:
a) Quorum discussion: There was a question about improving attendance to achieve quorum. There was discussion. Some ideas: reduce number needed for quorum; talk to people in person; add an “attending” button on FaceBook or web-page; include an engaging “town hall” community discussion topic or expert presentation for each meeting; increase publicity and information regarding spending tax monies.
b) Dates were announced: HIFR new fire hall opening, HIAC social.
c) HIRRA Bylaw changes: Widespread notice has been given of proposed changes to HIRRA bylaws for discussion and decision at the March meeting.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 8:24pm by general agreement.

Back to top

Minutes of HIRRA general meeting
March 14, 2018

At the Hornby Island Community Hall
Present: Rob McCreary, President; Andrew Mark, Vice President; Lynn Nunley, Treasurer; Rachelle Chinnery, Secretary; Reina LeBaron, Administrator; 29 other HIRRA members and 3 new membersCall to order: 7:36pmIntroductions: Rob welcomed everyone, introduced the Executive and acknowledged Pentlatch First Nations territory.1. Agenda: The agenda was approved by general agreement.
2. Minutes: Minutes of the February 7, 2018 HIRRA meeting were read aloud. It was noted that approval of minutes and adjournment could not officially occur without quorum. The minutes were accepted by general agreement pending a change in wording regarding quorum.
3. Executive Report: Presented by Rob. In summary:
2017 Financial year-end data seems fine. Still waiting for clarification from CVRD regarding showing year-end surplus/deficits.
New Hand pump ordered for Sollans Road public well.
Community Emergency Preparedness meeting with CVRD representatives was well attended. Executive proposing striking an Emergency Preparedness Committee at the AGM to update the Hornby Emergency Preparedness plan.
MOTI: Lane closure on Ford Cove hill was a precautionary measure (not collapsing). Waiting for an engineer’s assessment later this month.
Boat Ramp Committee has been offered a reused float from the Ford Cove Harbour rebuild. Administrator applied for FCL grant to renovate the float ($20,000 to $30,000).
4. Recreation Budget: Presented and reviewed by Coordinator Jade Wilson:
M/S/C Jade/Karen Ross “That the Hornby Island Recreation budget be approved as presented.”
5. Hall Committee size:
M/S/C Wendy Burton/Judith Lawrence “That the Hall Committee size be reduced to five members.”
Rationale: same as other Management Committees, easier to schedule meeting times, easier to achieve quorum, flexible and efficient.
6. Proposed Bylaw Changes:
BC Societies Act changes require non-profit societies to transition bylaws to meet new regulations. At the same time societies have the opportunity to review and change bylaws without additional charges.
Each Bylaw change proposed by the Executive will be read as a motion, seconded, discussed and voted on.
Vicki Bale made a point of order involving BC Societies Act instructions regarding notice of meeting being sent to all members by mail or e-mail.
Rob appreciated the information. The Executive will look more closely at the Act.
i) Moving clauses from Constitution to Bylaws: This change is required by the act and does not require a vote.
ii) 2a) Addresses:
M/S/DEFEATED Rob/Janet LeBlancq “That bylaw 2.a) be changed to remove requirement to record member addresses on the membership roll.”
Discussion: addresses needed to prove residence, to notify seasonal residents of meetings, to confirm unique identities. Suggestion to collect and record email addresses as well.
iii) 3b) Call To Order:
M/S/C Rob/Doug Chinnery “That bylaw 3.b) be changed to replace ‘…Robert’s Rules of Order…’ with ‘…Call to Order…’.”
Discussion: clarifies and follows existing HIRRA practice, Call To Order is silent or misleading on some issues (e.g. quorum, standing committees, business arising), Call to Order intended as a simpler reference with Robert’s Rules as back-up on more complex issues, next proposed bylaw change includes having Robert’s Rules as a back-up reference.
iv) 3d) Robert’s Rules of Order as back-up:
M/S/C Rob/ Daniel Siegel “That bylaw 3.d) be changed to replace ‘Robert’s Rules of Order’ with ‘Call to Order’ and to add: ‘On any issues where Call to Order is silent, Robert’s Rules of Order shall be the reference.’.”
v) 3e) Publicizing motions spending over $1,000:
M/S/C Rob/Doug Chinnery “That bylaw 3.e) be changed to add: ‘Motions considered by the Chair to have significant importance for the community, and all motions involving the expenditure of tax funds in excess of $1,000 must be publicized on the posted agenda in advance of the meeting.’.”
vi) 3k) Reducing quorum requirement:
M/S/ Rob/Rachelle Chinnery “That bylaw 3.k) be changed from: ‘At all general meetings twenty-five (25) members, or twenty per cent (20%) of members, whichever is less, shall constitute a quorum.’ to: ‘At all general meetings twenty (20) members, or twenty per cent (20%) of members, whichever is less, shall constitute a quorum.”
Discussion: Often difficult to achieve quorum of 25 people in last two years, quorum should be number of people who will reliably attend meetings, proposed wording is confusing.
Amendment:
M/S/C Margaret Pethick/Daniel Siegel “That the motion be amended to change ‘20% of members’ to ‘20% of membership’.”
M/S/C Rob/Janet LeBlancq “That bylaw 3.k) be changed from: ‘At all general meetings twenty-five (25) members, or twenty per cent (20%) of members, whichever is less, shall constitute a quorum.’ to: ‘At all general meetings twenty (20) members, or twenty per cent (20%) of membership, whichever is less, shall constitute a quorum.”
vii) 3k) Proceeding in the absence of quorum:
M/S/C Rob/Joanne Ovitsland “That bylaw 3.k) be changed to add: ‘In the absence of quorum, HIRRA meetings may proceed for informational purposes only.’.”
Discussion: clarifies and follows existing HIRRA practice.
viii) 3n) Publicity in other media:
M/S/C Rob/Donna DuPlessis “That bylaw 3.n) be changed to change ‘…as many islanders as possible will be notified by telephone and e-mail.’ to: ‘…as many islanders as possible will be notified by telephone, e-mail and other media’.”
ix) 4c) Removing starting dates of Executive terms:
M/S/ Rob/Janet LeBlancq “That bylaw 4.c) be changed to remove: ‘The first two-year term of Vice President will commence in 2006. The first two-year term of President will commence in 2007. The first two-year term of Secretary will commence in 2006. The first two-year term of Treasurer will commence in 2007.’.”
Discussion: starting dates no longer needed as staggered terms are already established, if someone resigns mid-term, the election for their replacement is for only one year, confusing as to which offices are elected each year.
Amendment:
M/S/C Vicki Bale/Tom Knott “That the motion be amended to specify that the President and Treasurer are elected in odd-numbered years and Vice-President and Secretary are elected in even-numbered years.”
M/S/C Rob/Donna DuPlessis “That bylaw 4.c) be changed to replace: ‘The first two-year term of Vice President will commence in 2006. The first two-year term of President will commence in 2007. The first two-year term of Secretary will commence in 2006. The first two-year term of Treasurer will commence in 2007.’ with: ‘The President and the Treasurer will be elected in odd-numbered years and the Vice-President and the Secretary will be elected in even-numbered years.’.”
x) 4d) Comox Strathcona to Comox Valley:
M/S/C Rob/Doug Chinnery “That bylaw 4.d) be changed to replace ‘Regional District of Comox Strathcona’ with: ‘Comox Valley Regional District’.”
xi) 5d) Audit:
M/S/C Rob/Daniel Siegel “That bylaw 5.d) be changed to replace ‘…arrange for a year-end audit by an auditor…’ with: ‘assure that a year-end review engagement is undertaken by an auditor…’.”
It was suggested that HIRRA research having a “notice to reader” instead of a “year-end review engagement.”
xii) 6 Borrowing:
M/S/ Rob/Donna DuPlessis “That bylaw 6 be changed from ‘Borrowing on behalf of the association shall be exercised by the executive only after the approval by a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the members voting at a general meeting.’ to ‘Borrowing on behalf of the association shall be exercised by the executive only after the approval by a majority vote of the members voting at a general meeting.’.” Discussion: Any vote is a decision. With a two-thirds majority requirement, a minority of members could veto a vote. It was noted that HIRRA has historically never borrowed money. Wording of the bylaw seemed confusing regarding “members voting at a meeting.”
M/S/C Rudy Rogalsky/Andrew Mark “That the motion be amended to change ‘…a majority vote of the members voting at a general meeting.’ to: ‘…a majority vote of the members attending a general meeting.”
M/S/C Rob/Andrew Mark “That bylaw 6 be changed from ‘Borrowing on behalf of the association shall be exercised by the executive only after the approval by a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the members voting at a general meeting.’ to ‘Borrowing on behalf of the association shall be exercised by the executive only after the approval by a majority vote of the members attending a general meeting.’.”
xiii) 7. Altering bylaws:
M/S/DEFEATED Rob/Daniel Siegel “That bylaw 7 ‘Requirements’ be changed from ‘A seventy-five (75) percent majority of members in good standing…’ to ‘A majority of members in good standing…’.”
Discussion: as above, with a 75 percent majority, a minority of members can veto a change. Altering bylaws should require a higher degree of agreement than a simple majority.
xiv) 10b) Discontinuance of membership:
M/S/DEFEATED Rob/Andrew Mark “That bylaw 10.b) be changed to replace ‘…by proper process of Robert’s Rules of Order…’ with ‘…by unanimous decision of the Executive and a majority ruling of the assembly…’.”
xv) 11a) Policies:
M/S/C Rob/Janet LeBlancq “That bylaw 11.a) be changed to replace ‘Those directives, of a sufficiently important nature as to be deemed not discretionary, shall be established by the Executive as Policy…’ to: ‘Those directives, of a sufficiently important nature as to be deemed compulsory, shall be established by the Executive as Policy…’.”
There was a suggestion to add a definition of the word compulsory.
xvi) 11b) Grievance Procedures:
M/S/C Rob/Donna DuPlessis “That bylaw 11.b) be changed to replace ‘The Executive shall establish grievance procedures for HIRRA employees and contractors, shall establish procedures for the resolution of conflicts with and within HIRRA, and shall encourage general peace and good relations within the community.’ with: ‘The Executive shall establish grievance procedures for HIRRA employees, contractors and volunteers, establish procedures for the resolution of conflicts with and within HIRRA, and shall encourage general peace and good relations within the community.’.”
7. Regional Parks and Trails Committee report: Committee member, Brian Kittleson reported. In summary: most recent work has been on the Roadside Trails, installing new signage and drainage to CVRD specifications. The CVRD brought suggested changes to the Parks bylaws regarding implementing fire bans and restricting smoking during fire bans, and allowing e-bikes that are electric assist mountain bikes (not scooters). A one day enduro race is proposed in the park in July, starting and ending in Strachan Valley. The three timed downhill segments would be off limits during the race. CVRD and Committee approved the race. Gull Road and Fowler Road trails are being assessed for potential trail improvements.
8. Hornby Spark Society report: Board member Quana Parker reported. In summary: two new board members joined at their AGM. HIFR has moved out of the old fire hall. CVRD has legal counsel researching process for Spark to take over the building. The business plan is complete. Spark is seeking grants for renovations. Visioning/design meeting coming up. Members welcome.
9. Hornby Island Fire Rescue report: Fire Chief Doug Chinnery reported. In summary: 2017 new chief, new Hall, five new rookies and three returning fire-fighters. Biggest callout volume ever: 131 calls, 74% medical. Agreement that BC Ambulance will do routine transfers during ferry hours and provide medical supplies and clean bedding. Working on Superior Tanker Shuttle Accreditation this year. Cadet camp coming up. When Crown Land Tenure is finalized, plans to build a training facility using five shipping containers. Moisture report on the wall shows moisture levels decreasing. Cisterns can be hooked up for washing water.
10. Community Announcements:
a) Dates were announced: HIAC: Film Festival, digital art and music classes; Heron Rocks: Seedy Saturday and Pruning workshop.
b) HIRRA AGM date and call for volunteers.
c) HICEEC: advocating for two years for better high-speed internet. Telus is installing high-speed this month for Sandpiper and South-east side of Hornby.
d) Housing Committee: many people are seeking housing this spring. Contact HIRRA Housing Committee with any possible housing options. Offers will remain anonymous until a potential match is found.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 10:01pm by general agreement.
Back to top

Minutes of HIRRA Annual General Meeting

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 7:30pm

At the Community Hall

Present: Rob McCreary, President, Andrew Mark, Vice President; Rachelle Chinnery, Secretary; Lynn Nunley, Treasurer; Reina LeBaron, Administrator; Joanne Ovitsland, Bookkeeper, 43 members and 5 new members

Call to order: 7:36pm         

Introductions: Rob welcomed everyone, introduced the executive and Administrator and acknowledged Pentlatch First Nations territory.  
Executive appreciation: Lynn appreciated the two retiring Executive members, Andrew and Rachelle, with succulent plant and gift certificate to Beulah Creek Nursery.                     

  • Agenda: The posted agenda was approved by general consent.
  • Minutes: Minutes of March 14, 2018 meeting were approved as presented by general consent.
  • President’s Report: Rob presented a President’s Report, highlighting the rich community contribution of HIRRA services in 2017, overseen by over 60 volunteers. (Attached)
  • Treasurer’s Report: Lynn presented and reviewed the year-end Review Engagement from Presley and Partners Accountants [Draft year-end review engagement document], and a spreadsheet with summaries for each HIRRA Fund (available as a handout) [HIRRA AGM fund summary]. (Attached) Lynn noted that HIRRA authorized a complete renovation of the Chart of Accounts General Ledger for 2018. What was previously 9.5 pages is now 4.5.
    M/S/C Lynn Nunley/Doug Chinnery “That the 2017 Review Engagement prepared by Presley and Partners be accepted as presented.”
    M/S/C
    Lynn Nunley/Daniel Siegel “That Presley and Partners Accountants be engaged to produce a year-end Review Engagement for 2018.”
  • Committee Annual Reports: [See full reports here: HIRRA AGM reports compiled ]

    1. Boat Ramp Committee: Presented by John Struthers. (Attached)
    2. Cemetery Stewards: (By Tina Wai) Presented by Margaret Pethick. (Attached)
    3. Comfort Stations: (Privy Council) Presented by Chris Aikman. (Attached)
    4. Community Hall: Presented by Wendy Burton. (Attached)
    5. Fall Fair: Presented by Alsoon Brine. (Attached) Albini appreciated the Fall Fair for financial support of the free Barn Dance in Strachan Valley barn attended by 50 to 70 people.
    6. Fire Protection/First Responders: Presented by Fire Chief, Doug Chinnery. (Attached is the annual report presented at the March meeting.) Doug presented information on the case for a full time position for the Fire Chief based on increasing call volume, work load, remote location and comparison with similar Fire Departments in the Comox Valley. CVRD has confirmed full time position. Also working on: replacing support vehicle with one from Oyster River department; superior tanker shuttle accreditation; training facility; First Responder course. Cadet Camp was a big success.
    7. Housing: Presented by Daniel Seigal. Housing has been supporting ISLA.
    8. Invasive Weed Control: (By Anna Zielinski and Eva Wetzel) Presented by Anna. (Attached)
    9. Recreation: Presented by Bill Hamilton. (Attached)
    10. Recycling and Waste Management: Presented by Stani Veselinovic, Manager. (Attached) There was a suggestion to connect with the Spark Society to provide them with fixable appliances for their repair café workshops.
    11. Regional Parks and Trails: Presented by Betty Kennedy. (Attached)
      Betty noted that some of the new Roadside Trails signs have been removed and the Parks Committee is unsure how to respond. It was suggested that an article go in the local papers and that new signs be installed with security screws.
  • Community Announcements:
    1. HICEEC: Karen Ross reported that 180 new internet ports are now available from Telus and announced the HICEEC AGM date.
    2. Tanker opposition: John Phipps reported that the letter writing campaign opposing tankers in the Salish Sea has sent over 200 letters already.
    3. Meeting with Ministry of Transportation: Rob reported that he and Trustee Tony Law will be meeting with MOTI to discuss island issues. Residents can contact them with issues. Issues raised immediately: center line painting; crosswalk for the roadside trail crossings at Carmichael and Mia Wood’s; crosswalk from Hall parking to Preschool.
    4. Event announcement: CHI Beach Clean-up event on Earth Day.
  • Elections:
    1. Executive: The President (Rob McCreary) and Treasurer (Lynn Nunley) are half-way through their two-year terms.
      Vice-President and Secretary terms are complete. Andrew Mark and Rachelle Chinnery are stepping down. Linda Manzer is willing to stand for Vice-President. Rob called three times for further nominations for Vice-President. Hearing none, Linda was declared elected by acclamation. Anita Lewis is willing to stand for Secretary. Rob called three times for further nominations for Secretary. Hearing none, Anita was declared elected by acclamation. Executive members serve two year staggered terms.

Committees: For each of the Committees, Rob called three times for further nominations. Hearing none, members were declared elected by acclamation. Committee members serve one year terms.

  1. Recycling: Jan Kennedy, Kathi Sauve, Ilze Raudzins, Barbara Baird, Alsoon Brine were elected by acclamation.
  2. Regional Parks and Trails: Betty Kennedy, Brian Kittleson, Sasha LeBaron, Rusty Harrison and Tom Rutherford were elected by acclamation.
  3. Community Hall: Melisa Devost, Judith Lawrence, Vicki Bale, Gabriel Jeroschewitz and Daniel Arbour were elected by acclamation.
  4. Recreation: Bill Hamilton, Eban Walmsley, Margot Bushnell, Alexandra Lamont, and Karen Young were elected by acclamation.
  5. Fire Protection: Brian Amos, Tor Nawrot, Jim Garton, Don Peterson and Phoebe Long were elected by acclamation.
  6. Boat Ramp: John Struthers, Peter Walford, Colleen Work, Larry Wasserman, Mike Pedneault, Rich Ward and Sally Englund were elected by acclamation.
  7. Invasive Weed Control: Ilze Raudzins, Eva Wetzel and Anna Zielinski were elected by acclamation.
  8. Comfort Stations: Nym Hughes, Chris Aikman and Tony Law were elected by acclamation.
  9. Cemetery Stewards: Gemma Colin, Eva Wetzel, Iain Palmer, Larry Smith, Tina Wai, Margaret Pethick and Sylvia Elysiana were elected by acclamation.
  10. Housing: Daniel Siegel, Shannon Warwick, Jan Kennedy, Joanne Ovitsland, Karen Brown, Phil Bailey and Barbara Baird were elected by acclamation.
  11. Fall Fair: Alsoon Brine, Gary Manzer, Anita Lewis and Alison Stevenson were elected by acclamation. (One more member needed for this five member Committee.)

Appointments:

  1. HICEEC Board: Cath Gray and John Heinegg were confirmed by acclamation to be appointed to the HICEEC Board.
  2. Ferry Advisory: Rob McCreary was confirmed by acclamation to be appointed to the Ferry Advisory Committee.

Proposed Emergency Preparedness Committee: Rob called three times for 3 to 7 people to stand for a new Emergency Preparedness Ad Hoc Committee. There were no volunteers. There was a request to consider joining the Committee and spread the word to friends and neighbours.

  • Refreshments: Donna is unable to provide refreshments for the meetings for the foreseeable future. There was a request for a volunteer to manage refreshments.
  • Vote of Thanks:
    M/S/C Judith Lawrence/Karen Ross
    “That Rob McCreary receive a vote of thanks for chairing HIRRA meetings.”

Adjournment:  The meeting was adjourned at 9:24pm by general consent.

Back to top