2019 Minutes

 

Note: HIRRA did not hold a general meeting in January or August.

HIRRA’s Guide to Meeting Etiquette

 Minutes of HIRRA Committee meetings are available for viewing by HIRRA members by contacting the Administrator at (250) 335-1842 or office@hirra.ca.

HIRRA General Meeting Minutes

of February 20, 201, at the Hornby Island Community Hall

Present: Rob McCreary, President; Linda Manzer, Vice President; Anita Lewis, Secretary; Reina LeBaron, Administrator; 16 other HIRRA members; Regrets: Lynn Nunley, Treasurer;

Call to order: 7:35pm         

Introductions: Rob welcomed everyone, introduced the Executive and acknowledged Pentlatch First Nations territory.

  1. Agenda: The posted agenda was approved by general agreement.
  2. Minutes: Minutes of December 12, 2018 HIRRA meeting were read aloud and accepted as presented by general agreement.
  3. Executive report: Presented by Rob McCreary. In summary: reviewed budget reports. Draft year-end financials reviewed. Proof of insurance required from HIRRA tenants. 2% COLA approved for HIRRA employees. Letter of support for CVRD’s grant application for Boat Ramp rebuild. Approved proposed revisions to Employment and Contracting Policy. Submitting grant application to BC Hydro for Emergency Preparedness Committee.
  4. Recycling Waste Management report: Presented by Depot Manager Stani Veselinovic. In summary: 2018 waste and recycling shipment amounts reported. Amounts increasing over-all, with recyclables increasing the most. Solar panel power generation reported. Staff completed Occupational First Aid course at Fire Hall. Eye wash station purchased. Other staff safety training in progress. Appreciation to staff for snow clearing and salting. Fortieth Anniversary Celebrations went very well. Free Store volunteers seeking ten more volunteers at the Free Store and request only actual usable stuff be donated.
  5. Community Hall report: Written report by Committee member Melisa Devost read aloud. In summary: P/A sound system has been purchased and is planned for installation in March.
  6. Seawright Road Trail petition: Presented by Cristl Hansen. In summary: Seawright residents request HIRRA to create a walking/cycling trail beside Seawright Road to Sandpiper Beach for the safety of pedestrians, cyclists, wildlife and vehicle drivers. Petition will be sent to Regional Parks and Trails Committee for consideration. Rob is willing to bring residents’ concerns to next meeting with Ministry of Transportation.
  7. Community Announcements:
    1. Ferry Advisory Committee: Karen Ross joining the FAC (representing HICEEC). Daniel Arbour joining the FAC (representing CVRD). FAC discussing options to address over-loaded summer ferries (e.g. extra morning sailing, double ferries) BC Ferries not taking action on overnight line-ups. Suggestion for all medical appointments to get priority loading.
    2. HICEEC staff and bus: Presented by Karen Ross. In summary: James Emerson has been hired as Administrative Support. Not applying for funding for electric bus this year as Boat Ramp was applying for same grant. $20,000 allocated by CVRD for summer bus. Trying to address issues from last year. Seeking volunteers for Bus Steering Committee. Bus across Denman part of long-term transit plan.
    3. Spark Society: Presented by Quana Parker. In summary: Crown Land lease transfer has been approved. Waiting for official documents from CVRD to transfer building ownership.
    4. Dates announced: Earthquake Simulation Training event. Sustainability Forum and Town Hall discussion. Heron Rocks Pruning Workshop and Seedy Saturday. Island Trust election.

Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 8:30pm by general agreement.
Back to top

HIRRA General Meeting Minutes

Of March 13, 2019 at the Hornby Island Community Hall

Present: Rob McCreary, President; Lynn Nunley, Treasurer; Anita Lewis, Secretary; Reina LeBaron, Administrator; 24 other HIRRA members; Regrets: Linda Manzer, Vice President;

Call to order: 7:34pm         

Introductions: Rob welcomed everyone, introduced the Executive and acknowledged Pentlatch First Nations territory.

  1. Agenda: The posted agenda was approved by general agreement with policy revisions moved to the end of the agenda.
  2. Minutes: Minutes of February 20, 2019 HIRRA meeting were read aloud and accepted as presented by general agreement.
  3. Executive report: Presented by Rob McCreary. In summary: ordered public well and slow signs; approved funding for Sustainability Forum publicity; submitted grant application to Co-op Community Spaces for Boat Ramp rebuild. Discussed: letter from School Trustee re: school rebuild need for larger gym based on student needs; Emergency Prep funding options; Parks invoicing; staff evaluations.
  4. Bus Sponsorship: HICEEC President, John Heinegg, requested continued HIRRA sponsorship of Community Bus for 2019.
    M/S/C John Heinegg/Doug Chinnery “That HIRRA spend $2,000 from the Community Contingency Fund to sponsor the Community Bus Project for 2019.”
    Points from discussion: Contingency Fund not intended for ongoing annual costs. Bus will be free (donations accepted) as insurance increases if charging rider fee. Bus Feasibility Study report is available on-line. Most businesses are continuing sponsorships for 2019.
  5. Emergency Preparedness:
    M/S/C David Wiseman/John Heinegg
    “That the Emergency Preparedness Committee be increased to seven members.”
    Suggestion to make Emerg. Prep. a standing Committee and seek tax funding. Forty people attended the seven hour Earthquake Simulation event. Emerg. Prep. is testing handheld radios, setting up communications protocols with HIFR, meeting with school and clinic re: their role in an emergency, starting to develop neighbourhood teams.
  6. HIFR report: Presented by Fire Chief, Doug Chinnery. In summary: Budget on track; CVRD funding further landscaping; 20 students signed up for Cadet Camp including three in the “young officers” pilot program; second-hand 4X4 truck needs some upgrade work but still much cheaper than buying a new 64 truck; fire hall booked for Blues Fest class and federal voting place.
  7. Regional Parks/Trails report: Presented by Committee Chair, Betty Kennedy. In summary: plan to work with CVRD on Gull Rd. Trail project to upgrade link between Mclean and Fowler Roads; Seawright Rd. petition received and will be discussed with CVRD; permanent outhouse planned for Sandpiper in 2020 Capital Program; Devil’s Kitchen upgrade completed and enjoyed; gravel being spread on low spots of Roadside Trails; HIMBA applied for a permit for a Bike-Fest in June; CVRD applied for provincial grant for Boat Ramp replacement.
    Thanks from Privy Council for funding for permanent Sandpiper outhouse.
    re: School Trail. Parks planning to put gravel in low spots but not putting any entrance signs.
  8. HIES updates: Presented by Child Youth and Community School Programs Coordinator, Petra Chambers-Sinclair. In summary: HIES is key to retaining Community School status; funding has been declining; restructuring with part-time Finance Administrator and Child Youth and Community School Programs Coordinator rather than Executive Director; SD#71 upgraded Room to Grow electrical; available to rent again; programs up and running; Access Center and Greydawn Printing moving to Ringside Market; no more public washroom access; hoping to increase fundraising for larger gym rebuild and to start adult education programs.
  9. Area A Regional Director’s report: Presented by Regional Director, Daniel Arbour. In summary: appreciation for HIRRA’s local discussion and decision-making; met with Hornby and Denman housing groups re: possible tax-funding; septic workshop planned for Hornby; advocating for fibre-optic internet improvements for islands; plan to offer information on property tax notices. Daniel also sits on Regional Library Committee, Vancouver Island Train Committee, Federal Shellfish Advisory Panel.
    re: Train. Will take major funding and possibly increased freight shipping from Port Alberni.
    Q. re: Union Bay development. Approved for 3,000 homes over-all but starting with 80. Last available node of development around Courtenay/Comox.
  10. Community Announcements:
    1. Power outage: BC Hydro planned power outage date.
    2. HIRRA AGM: Date and call for volunteers for Committees and Exec. terms that have expired (Treasurer and President).
  11. Policy Revisions: Committee Terms of Reference proposed revisions displayed and reviewed.
    M/S/C Rob McCreary/Gary Burtinsky “That the Revised Committee Terms of Reference be approved as presented.”
    The remaining three policy revision documents were deferred to a future meeting.
  12. Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 9:12pm by general agreement.

Back to top
 

NOTE:

Minutes of future meetings will be posted after approval by the HIRRA assembly (usually at the following month’s meeting).
Back to top