Conflict of interest means any situation where:
- the committee member’s personal interests;
- the interests of a close friend, family member, business associate of the committee member;
- a company or partnership in which the committee member holds a significant interest, or
- a person to whom the committee member owes an obligation
may prevent the committee member from acting in the committee’s best interest or prevent the committee member from acting fairly, impartially and without bias on behalf of the Association.
A committee member must arrange his/her private affairs and conduct himself/herself in such a manner to avoid a conflict of interest or the appearance of a conflict of interest.
A committee member may neither:
- act on behalf of the committee, or deal with the committee in any matter where the committee member is in a conflict of interest or appears to be in a conflict of interest
- use his/her position, office or affiliation with the committee to pursue or advance his/her personal interests or those of a person as described above unless such action, dealing or use of position, office or affiliation is specifically contemplated by a permitted conflict of interest.
In the event of a conflict between the wording of the Policy on this page and the wording of the paper copy kept in the central HIRRA file, the wording of the paper copy shall prevail.