2021 Minutes

HIRRA’s Guide to Meeting Etiquette
Minutes of HIRRA Committee meetings are available for viewing by HIRRA members by contacting the Administrator at (250) 335-1842 or office@hirra.ca.

Minutes of HIRRA General Meeting

Wednesday, February 10, 2021 By Zoom

Present: Lynn Nunley, President; Jeremy Payne, Vice President; Rudy Rogalsky, Treasurer, Reina LeBaron, Administrator; 37 other HIRRA members and 4 new members, and 2 guests.
Regrets: Alpen Kelley, Secretary; Joanne Ovitsland, Bookkeeper;

Call to order: 7:35pm   

Introductions: Lynn welcomed everyone and acknowledged First Nations territory.
Executive and staff introduced themselves. Guidelines for meeting were outlined.

  1. Agenda: The posted agenda was approved by poll.
  2. Minutes: Minutes of Dec 9, 2020 HIRRA were reviewed and accepted as presented by poll.
  3. Executive report: Presented by Lynn Nunley, President. Proposed HIRRA Bylaw changes publicized for vote at March meeting. Contracts signed. RCMP addition likely postponed. HIAC starting construction soon. Volunteers needed for Nominating Committee and Executive. Started planning for facilitated Covid Community Conversation.
    M/S/C Rudy Rogalsky/Jeremy Payne “That the over-all costs of the Covid Community Conversation facilitation ($2,000) be approved to be paid out of the Core Services Community Contingency funding and that HIRRA continue to seek outside funding to off-set the expense.”
  4. Community Announcements:
    March events:
    Herring Fest virtual art show. Covid Community Conversation
  5. Regional Parks and Trails report: Presented by Tom Rutherford, Committee member. Parks Contract posted. Awarded to Yana Pethick. Gull Road Greenway project connecting St. John’s Pt. Rd. to Fowler Road built with funding from BC Active Transportation Grant and Parks reserves. Sandpiper Park permanent outhouse installed and beach access improved. Access road improved to Back 40 for regular mowing. New Recycling Trail connects Roadside Trail to Recycling Trail. Plan to connect to French Connection. Committee under-budget for 2020. Replacing mesh on wooden surfaces. Plan to improve drainage on Coltsfoot Trail.
    Sasha LeBaron resigned from the Committee. Amanda Zielinski has been appointed until AGM. HIMBA collaborates with Parks Committee on regular volunteer trail-work. HIMBA conditionally supports Big Mountain proposal.
    Appreciation for trails and volunteer work.
  6. Big Mountain Bike Adventures presentation: Presented by Chris Winter, Owner. Based in Whistler. Big Mountain offers guided mountain bike trips world-wide since 2002. Hornby is unique in BC for mountain biking with trails that aren’t too technical and weather for year-round riding. Doesn’t want to over-promote the island. Eager to work with HIMBA and Parks Committee to be aligned in values and ensure project works for everyone. Willing to sign a letter of agreement with community re: terms of use.
    Proposal: Youth mountain bike day-camps in summer and/or spring break.
    Women only bike skills camps over four days in shoulder season with accommodation and meals included. Accommodation would be a limiting factor.
    Strong leadership of small groups (6-12). Guides have OFA and coaching knowledge. May hire local guides and would offer subsidies for local participants. Safety very important.
    Offer for participants to donate to HIMBA and give volunteer to work on trails.
    Comments: Concerns about increasing tourism in summer re: ferries. Suggestion to bring youth in off-season in collaboration with schools.
  7. HICEEC report: Presented by John Heinegg, HIRRA appointee to HICEEC. Web-site has been renewed. MRDT “Pillow tax” being considered again. Fibre Optic project is now with CVRD for consideration. Two resignations from Board. Approved contribution to Covid Community Conversation.
  8. Islands Trust updates: Presented by Alex Allen, Islands Trustee. Good community attendance at LTC Zoom meetings. Zoom Trust Council on March 9-10. People can participate in Town Hall session, by petition, delegation or correspondence. Trust does a lot of advocacy for ocean health. Next Trust Council June 8-10
  9. CVRD updates: Presented by Daniel Arbour, Area A Regional Director. CVRD considering 2021 budgets. Transit funding of $100,000/yr approved for Hornby and Denman. Also talking with School District about sharing bus and discussing electric bus purchase.
    Discussing tax-funding for maintenance of HIAC Arts Centre when completed.
    Fibre optic cable being installed across Lambert Channel to “landing stations” that could be used by Telus or by joining City-West for internet service. Further funding and investment needed.
  10. Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 9:00pm.

Back to top

Minutes of HIRRA General Meeting

Wednesday, March 10, 2021 By Zoom

Present: Lynn Nunley, President; Jeremy Payne, Vice President (chairing); Rudy Rogalsky, Treasurer; Alpen Kelley, Secretary; Reina LeBaron, Administrator; Joanne Ovitsland, Bookkeeper; 22 other HIRRA members and 2 new members

Call to order: 7:35pm   

Introductions: Jeremy welcomed everyone and acknowledged First Nations territory.
Executive and staff introduced themselves. Guidelines for meeting were outlined.

  1. Agenda: The posted agenda was approved by poll.
  2. Minutes: Minutes of Feb 10, 2021 HIRRA were reviewed and accepted as presented by poll.
  3. Executive report: Presented by Jeremy Payne, Vice-President. HIRRA Employee Handbook drafted. HIAC starting construction soon. Working on RRSP program for employees. Recycling Depot will be closed on Stat Holidays. Call for volunteers needed for Executive. Appreciation for Nominating Committee members.
    1. Community Announcements:
      March events:
      Covid Community Conversation
      HIAC virtual art show for Herring Fest.
      Island Health arranging for Hornby community-wide vaccination in April.
  4. Bylaw Revisions (poll percentages = “in favour”):
    1. M/S/C (88%) Rudy Rogalsky/Alpen Kelley That the changes to the Purposes of the HIRRA Constitution be approved as presented.
    2. M/S/C (77%) Rudy Rogalsky/Alpen Kelley That the new clause be added to the HIRRA Bylaws Section 2 Membership Rights and Obligations as presented.
    3. M/S/DEFEATED (67%) Rudy Rogalsky/Alpen Kelley That the new clause be added to the HIRRA Bylaws Section 4 Executive Committee and Management Committees as presented.
      M/S/DEFEATED (33%) Stephan Werner/Nym Hughes That the motion be amended to change the Bylaw from “30 days before AGM” to “14 days before AGM.”
      There was discussion regarding abstentions. Robert’s Rules of Order p 396 clarified: abstentions are not counted as part of a final percentage vote.
      However, HIRRA’s bylaws state that bylaws can only be amended with a 75% majority of members at a meeting, therefore the motion did not pass.
    4. M/S/C (93%) Rudy Rogalsky/Alpen Kelley That clause e) of the HIRRA Bylaws Section 4 Executive Committee and Management Committees be modified as presented.
    5. M/S/C (92%) Rudy Rogalsky/Alpen Kelley That clause f) of the HIRRA Bylaws Section 4 Executive Committee and Management Committees be modified as presented.
    6. M/S/C (84%) Rudy Rogalsky/Alpen Kelley That the new section “Role of Executive Committee” be added to the HIRRA Bylaws as presented.
    7. M/S/C (82%) Rudy Rogalsky/Alpen Kelley That the new section “Role of Management Committees” be added to the HIRRA Bylaws as presented.
    8. M/S/C (91%) Rudy Rogalsky/Alpen Kelley That clauses a) through d) of the HIRRA Bylaws Section 7 Duties of Executive Committee Members be modified as presented.
    9. M/S/C (100%) Rudy Rogalsky/Alpen Kelley That clause e) of the HIRRA Bylaws Section 7 Duties of Executive Committee Members be modified as presented.
    10. M/S/C (91%) Rudy Rogalsky/Alpen Kelley That clauses e) and f) of the HIRRA Bylaws Section 7 Duties of Executive Committee Members be modified as presented, AND that Section 8 of the HIRRA Bylaws be modified as presented.
  1. HICEEC report: Presented by John Heinegg, HIRRA appointee to HICEEC. HICEEC has moved to new office at Thatch. CVRD has cut budget somewhat. Updated web-site online by April. Applied for grant to develop an on-line store. HICEEC is writing a letter to the Islands Trust opposing a proposal to remove “housing” from their purposes.
    HICEEC will share information with HIRRA.
  2. Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 9:32pm.

Back to top

NOTE:

Minutes of future meetings will be posted after approval by the HIRRA assembly (usually at the following month’s meeting).
Back to top